KATSBAAN REFORMED CHURCH
The Katsbaan Reformed Church is located about 3 1/2 miles north of Saugerties on the Old King's Highway. The congregation was established in 1710 with the arrival of the Palatine immigrants to West Camp. Visible from all parts of the surrounding Catskill countryside, the old stone Church "de steene kerk op de Kats Baan" was built in 1732 - the year George Washington was born. It is a Church built literally "upon a rock." The land on which it stands was leased in perpetuity on March 1, 1731 by the trustees of the Kingston Commons at an annual rental of three peppercorns per annum if demanded.
The first records of the Church begin November 30, 1730, in the handwriting of Reverend George Wilhelmus Mancius. The Church was incorporated on March 28, 1796 when its title became "The Minister, Elders, and Deacons of the Reformed Protestant Church of Kaatsbaan in the town of Kingston, Ulster County." The Church at Katsbaan was the place of worship between Kingston and Katskill (Leeds). It remained unchanged until 1816, with few minor improvements. In 1816 the walls were raised and galleries built in the east, west, and north side. The pulpit was placed in the north, doors inserted in the south wall, and a steeple erected in which a bell was hung. In 1867 it was rebuilt with its wall extending seventeen feet to the south. Thus the building remains as it is today. The initials of some of the builders may be seen in the north wall. The lines of the 1732 Church and old entrance may also be seen in the north wall. On July 1, 1892 it was re-incorporated as the Reformed Church of Katsbaan.
As of the year 2008, the Katsbaan Reformed Church has been supplied by 23 ministers. During the Revolutionary War the ministers and Church members were very active in the cause for freedom. Reverend Henry Ostrander preached from 1812-1862 (50 years) and Reverend Arad Joy Sebring preached from 1885-1916 (31 years). Church services have been held continuously by ordained ministers or supply ministers since 1732.
TO VIEW THE PROGRAM FROM THE 200th ANNIVERSARY OF
OUR CHURCH'S ERECTION & DEDICATION ~ SEPTEMBER 15, 1932
TO VIEW SEVERAL PHOTOS FROM OUR PAST
TO VIEW A 100-YEAR-OLD POSTCARD
FOR A LIST OF PREVIOUS PASTORS
FOR PHOTOS OF ARTIFACTS